Google Earth is one of the most ambitious developments by Google. In this wonderful aerial viewer initially developed by the company ‘Keyhole’ you can walk around the planet through images taken by satellite and adorned by the company’s inabarcable geolocated database.
Google Earth uses fantastic 3D graphics technology to show real environments and three-dimensional structures and accidents to the point that in certain situations you won’t know how to differentiate an aerial photograph from a virtual representation. At anytime you can change camera perspectives and even zoom in certain areas, to alternate with the Streetview system and see 360 degree pictures taken at street level, in addition to all the information provided by Maps.
Being associated with Google Maps’ infrastructure you’re able to superimpose all types of visualization layers, such as roads or points of interest, into the 3D view. This, together with more than 20,000 points of interest allow you to visualize in a guided way, making it the best tool for virtual tourism.
Without a doubt, Google Earth is one of the biggest landmarks of Google when it comes to providing a high-quality, accessible service to the benefit of people around the world. A way of seeing the world that you would never have imagined, and that you can now enjoy from the palm of your hand.
Some of the most interesting services offered by Google, especially for the most curious users, are those that have to do with maps and cartography. On the one hand, Google Maps, and on the other, Google Earth. The latter is the application that by overlaying satellite images, aerial photos, geographical information from GIS models and computer-based models, offers us the possibility to explore the planet in 2D and 3D.
The app to explore the planet without moving an inch
It’s an app with which we can travel the world by just swiping our finger and zooming in and out. Thus, we can fly over any region mapped by satellite and access information about the area or places we want to explore.
This is the Android version in APK format but Google Earth has also been developed for other platforms such as iOS, Windows PC, and the web to make online queries. It comes along with the following functions and features:
- Possibility to find any place on Earth by exploring manually or using this search tool: input the name and check the results in real time.
- Cards with information taken from Wikipedia and other sources about cities, regions, and other points of interest on the map.
- 3D view from different angles being able to modify the orientation of the compass.
- Voyager option to explore places and contents curated by the editors.
- Feeling Lucky? option to go to any random place around the world.
- Explore the real world at ground level thanks to the Street View mode.
- Save a list with your favorite places.
- Take a screenshot of any place and share it with your contacts by means of chat and instant messaging app or email.
- Share your location through the application.
- Share links with other contacts.
Fast and simple navigation
The app allows you to move around the map very easily. You only need to swipe your finger across the screen and zoom in and out whenever you want. With the compass, you can get your north, south, east or west bearings and you can choose between a 2D and 3D view of the location you’re visiting.
Finally, you can explore any place at ground level if the latter has been photographed by Google’s cars for the Street View mode. Just tap the man and then the place where you want to go.
To the classic navigation system, we also have to add the possibility to use the Voyager mode, a function with which we can discover different places around the world sorted by categories or editor picks: museums from all over the world, places to go surfing, tours around town, parks in the middle of the city, safaris in Africa…
What’s new in the latest version
- It now offers a Photos layer that allows us to view geolocated images shared by other users.
- Minimum operating system requirements: Android 4.1.
- Offers in-app purchases.